By Louise Clover / September 11th, 2020
Estimated Read Time: 11 Minutes
Through the ages, the Moon has always identified as a celestial body that links to our emotions. There are many different religions that place an importance on the Moon. These religions range from pagan to organized religion. The moon’s lunar cycle is often used as a way to mark calendars and specific rituals are associated with each moon phase.
Like its natural counterpart, the Sun, the Moon also has a myriad of gods and goddesses linked to it. Not to mention the hundreds of myths and legends centering around the Moon. Have you ever used the phrase, ‘once in a blue moon’ or ‘there must be a full moon tonight’? Well those are a few examples of how the Moon was referred to calculate time and also tied to specific emotions.
So how does any of this relate to Wicca?
The Moon is often associated with the element Water and femininity. One of the most distinct symbols in Wicca that features the Moon is the Triple Moon Goddess. It contains three different phases; the waxing, full and waning moon phases.
A brief run down behind the meaning of this symbol is that it represents the three forms of the Goddess: The Maiden, the Mother and the Crone. When these three are together, it creates the complete experience of Feminine Power. It is a great symbol to use to form a connection with one’s feminine side. Let it be a reminder that everything in life is the way it’s meant to be.
Of course this isn’t a new symbol by any means. Archaeologists discovered a stone sculpture of the Goddess Hecate (Goddess of Magic) depicted as three goddesses in a single entity has been dated back to 5 B.C.E. The Goddess Demeter was also depicted as a tri-goddess throughout various stages of history.
But why are different moon phases important?
New Moon Phase
This moon phase is ‘the beginning’ of a lunar cycle. Once a month there will be several nights when the Moon seems to have disappeared completely from the sky. During this time the Moon hides behind the Sun for a few days. Now would be the best time to perform spells that require intention. If you want to begin a new habit or add another prayer to your ritual,this specific moon phase is also the perfect setting to start.
Quick New Moon Candle Ritual
A quick candle ritual that you can do simply requires:
- One (1) white candle*
- A bowl of water
- Two pieces of paper
- On one piece of paper, write what you aim to let go for the month while on the other, something that you wish to cultivate. This can be anything from a new habit to a goal that you wish to achieve by the end of the month.
- In an open space, start by salting the water in the bowl. Place the white candle in its center, be sure to have the wick of the candle above the water.
- Burn the two pieces of paper starting with the one you wish to let go. Extinguish the paper in the salted water. Remember to keep the candle lighted throughout the ritual.
* You can use a simple white birthday candle if your bowl is shallow enough.
The Moon in the waxing moon phase looks like a backwards ‘C’. This phase occurs as the Sun moves slowly from behind the Moon. As the Moon grows fuller it’s a visual representation of the Moon gathering its powers. This is also the phase known in the Triple Moon Goddess symbol as the Maiden. Particularly because this when the Goddess is in her ‘naive’ state at the beginning of Her journey.
This is a great time to focus on self-discovery or a spell that focuses on self-improvement. This is the energy often associated with this phase. Are you a serial planner or have been waiting for ‘the right time’ to start a project? Waxing moon phases are definitely the time to schedule the rest of your month and explore your creativity.
Waxing Moon Intention Spell
- One (1) bay leaf
- A small fireproof cauldron or container
- Stand by a window where you can see the waxing moon. If you’re lucky enough to have an undisturbed clearing outside then that’s perfect. Set up your fireproof container.
- Write your intent on the bay leaf, remember to focus on this intent clearly in your mind as you do so. This can be something repetitive too, like becoming a better artist for example. You could also use a single word to represent your intent.
- Thank the Moon for being in its waxing phase by raising your open palms up to the Moon, bay leaf still in your hands. Then press the bay leaf over your heart, taking a few deep breaths as you envision your intent being fulfilled.
- Once you feel you’ve grounded yourself and made a connection to the Moon, burn the leaf in your container. Picture your intent rising with the smoke towards the Moon.
- Accept and believe that the Moon has received your intent and wait for the leaf to completely burn out.
Want to learn more about familiars, spells, dreams, tarot, crystals, herbs, and much more?
Become a student of Wicca Academy today!
First Quarter Moon
The first quarter moon and third quarter moon phase are similar. They are both illuminated halfway through. This happens because the Sun is side by side with the Moon. The Moon has reached half its power during these two phases. The first quarter phase illuminates on the right side while the third quarter is on the left side.
The first quarter phase is great for inner reflection and taking stock of what is around you. Take the time to celebrate your own achievements. It’s also an excellent time to start planning rituals for the full moon phase. The laws of attracting material objects are strongest during this period too. Manifest these objects by journaling.
Questions to ask include:
- What did I do in the past month that I would like to improve on?
- What are some decisions that I made that I’ve regretted in the last month?
- What can I manifest in the next month that can push myself forward? Either as a person or from the current situation I am in now.
Waxing Gibbous Moon
If you have a task you’ve been struggling to complete, the waxing gibbous moon phase is a great time for you to receive that little push of energy. This is the moon phase when a sliver of the dark moon is still seen on the furthest left edge of the Moon.
The energy surrounding this stage is mindfulness. Any ritual magic done in this stage should circle around productivity or mindfulness of your emotions – both internal emotions and emotions affected by external surroundings.
While you can conduct rituals during this phase, a great way to make use of this particular moon phase is by putting effort into your plans. Focus on the intent you had set with the Waxing Moon Intention spell and trust that the Universe is preparing to fulfill it.
This is the moon phase most, if not everyone reading would recognize – the full moon.
This is also the phase known in the Triple Moon Goddess symbol as the Mother. It is an embodiment of love and fertility. This phase invites you to give and receive love.
To most practicing Wiccans and pagans this is the most potent form of magical energy found. It’s without a doubt the ultimate time to perform spells that relate to manifestations. It’s even a good time for banishment rituals.
This is a great time if you have particular interest in divination and honing your psychic abilities. The full moon is the most powerful energy you can have to fuel your abilities.
If you don’t have a particular goal in mind but would like to take advantage of the full moon’s powers then you can attempt this basic ritual.
Full Moon Wish Spell
- One (1) white candle*
- Pen and paper
- Light the white candle and place on a fireproof tile.
- Gaze at the top of the flame and focus on your breathing. Take three (3) deep breaths.
- Chant, “Tonight I choose to reflect on your light, and open myself to your radiant clarity. I light this fire in the name of the Moon, so that my request may be granted. Thank you Goddess, for I have obtained your Blessing and Vision, by the light of a flame. So mote it be.”
- On your piece of paper, write your wish and make it as detailed and specific as possible.
- Once the candle extinguishes itself out, keep the piece of paper in a safe, dry place.
- Scrape the wax and either bury or throw it away since your intent is now set.
* Use a birthday candle to allow this spell to end quicker.
Waning Gibbous Moon
As the Moon begins to lose its power it starts to darken on the right side. This is also the final stage seen in the Triple Moon Goddess symbol, known as the Crone. The Crone is the Goddess in her oldest form, full of wisdom. She acknowledges that She is withering away and becomes a reminder that Death is simply part of the cycle of life. Without death, there cannot be birth.
Since the Moon is beginning to lose its energy, this is a great time to focus on complete acceptance of yourself. If you have a ritual centered around overcoming obstacles this would be the time to perform it. Some also recommend taking a step back and being introspective during this moon phase. It helps to identify problem areas in your life that need focus. Once identified, you can set your intentions and goals for the next month.
A perfect cleansing ritual to perform during this time is one that involves knot magic.
Banishing Knot Magick Spell
- A black chord about 13 inches in length
- Dragon’s blood essential oil
- A small piece of paper
- On the piece of paper, write what you wish to banish. This can also be described in a single word.
- Tie a loose knot at one end of the chord. Before you tighten it completely, look through the hole and read your intent on the piece of paper. Picture it disappearing from your life.
- Tighten the knot, then drip a single drop of the essential oil on the knot. As you do this, say, “I do bind thee and banish thee from my life.”
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 five more times until you have a total of six knots.
- Keep your chord in a safe place and forget about it.
- Throw the piece of paper away since your intent is now set.
Third Quarter Moon
As mentioned before, this is when the Moon illuminates exactly halfway through. Only half of its left side can be seen. This is a visual representation of the Moon at half its power.
If you’ve been reflecting during the waning gibbous phase, then you should have an idea of what needs removed from your life. The third quarter moon is the perfect time for you to give back after soaking up the Moon’s energy.
Reflect on the last few days by journaling. Write down any negative patterns that you still need to break.
This phase is when the last sliver of the moon is visible on the furthest left side. At this stage, the Moon has used up the last of its power and surrenders to Nature’s cycle. If you have not achieved your goals that you’ve set at the beginning of the month, don’t beat yourself up over it. The waning moon phase is also about self-kindness.
We recommend releasing negative energy during this phase. Focus on your personal insecurities and negativity. This energy release differs a little from the release of negativity during the third quarter moon.
Removing Obstacles from Your Life Spell
- One (1) red candle*
- Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- Pen and paper
- Sage (optional)
- Black cloth (optional)
- To begin, find an open space under the moon. Cleanse your items with sage.
- Ground yourself through meditation and breathing to feel connected.
- On the paper, write the obstacle that’s been in your way.
- Fold the paper three times, making sure to keep folding away from you. As you do, repeat aloud the specific intention you wrote on the paper.
- Pour a little olive oil on the tips of your fingers then rub it on the candle, in a downward motion ‘away’ from the wick.
- Place your folded paper under the recently dressed candle.
- Sprinkle a circle of salt around your candle and say, “I bless this salt to cleanse and remove any blockages in my path.”
- Sprinkle a circle of pepper next and say, “I charge this pepper to eliminate anything in the way of me and [your goal].”
- Lastly take your cayenne pepper and sprinkle a third outer circle around the salt and pepper. As you do this, say, “I empower this cayenne pepper to blast away all obstacles in my way.”
- Light the candle and say a prayer to your patron God or Goddess. Spend some time visualizing the obstacle disintegrating from your life.
- When the candle has burnt all the way down (or close to it), blow it out and wrap it in the black cloth and keep it in a safe place.
* To quicken this process, a red birthday candle will burn out faster.
Most witches take this time to recharge their magical energies in this phase. There are some that enjoy harnessing the dark energy associated with the dark moon. This is a time when some would consider ‘closure’ to the lunar cycle. Magic rituals done in this stage center around breaking destructive habits.
Protection spells are also something one might consider during this moon phase.
A quick protection spell that you can do just uses a single ingredient- blessed black salt or white coarse salt. Sprinkle this around the perimeter of your house, at the doorways, and at windowsills. This creates walls of protection against negative energies that might try to enter your home. You can also buy ready-made protection oil, made of a combination of essential oils. Dab this at the corner of your doorways and windows.
Now that you know the different magical energies associated with each moon phase, don’t wait. Start marking your calendars for the next new moon. Preparation is essential to spell-casting after all.
Love this article? Share the magick with your friends and loved ones!